Only a couple of days left before we enter 2023. To set the tone for a positive start is to start a new chapter with good energy. Check out these three types of meditation that can give you the right sense of tranquillity and proactive resolution
Among all types of meditation, mindfulness meditation is the most beginner-friendly and probably the most suitable to practise starting New Year’s Eve.
Mindfulness meditation is about concentrating on current actions and being mindful of what you do at the moment. Though it is true that it can be practised anytime at any location, whether you’re building a Lego in your bedroom or washing dishes in the kitchen, it is strongly advised that beginners set aside some time and practise with guidance.
The practice of mindfulness meditation can be as short as five minutes per session. It is modelled after Jon Kabat-Zinn’s Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction programme. Initially created in 1979, this form of meditation was to counter stress, chronic pain and other ailments.
- Find a comfortable seat whether it’s on a chair or a meditation cushion. As long as it gives you a solid seat without the option for slouching and hanging back, you’re golden.
- If you are seated on a chair, make sure both the bottoms of your feet touch the floor. If you are seated on a cushion, cross your legs comfortably.
- Raise and straighten your upper body. Upper arms should be parallel to the upper body.
- Lower your chin and eyelids. It is okay to even close your eyes when meditating.
- Pay attention to your breathing, and relax. Follow the air going through your nose or mouth, going through your chest, lungs and stomach.
- Your mind will wander. When that happens, gently draw your attention back to your breathing.
- When you are ready, lift your gaze or open your eyes. Take note of your surroundings, your body, emotions and thoughts.
A great way to reconnect with all your senses is through walking meditation.
If you are tired after all the awesome parties over the holiday period, then a good walking meditation is what your body is looking for. Walking meditation is about using your steps as the focus, and feeling each step you take to achieve mind-body awareness. It needs no set-ups and is suitable for beginners.
By doing this type of meditation, you can also boost your blood flow. An easy and wholesome exercise to try entering the New Year.
Transcendental meditation is widely welcomed by Hollywood stars and celebrities including Ellen DeGeneres, Katy Perry, Russell Brand, and many more. This type of meditation involves chanting a mantra as the object of awareness. The result of such meditation is to achieve balance, clarity and calm – in essence, it is to reduce stress and improve focus. Many attest that it will also help you sleep better.
In a nutshell, transcendental meditation involves silently repeating a mantra for 15–20 minutes a day. All you have to do is to find a comfortable place where you can sit with your eyes closed for that duration.
It is however best practised with guidance from a certified TM mentor to begin with. If you are looking for a fresh start for the new year, transcendental meditation can help you relieve deep-rooted stress and step into the coming year without an extra load on your shoulder.